Frequently Asked Questions

Q: There are so many Universities in Pakistan. How do I decide which university to apply to?

A: Research your options and define your priorities. Contact the University of Chitral Education advising center and browse university search engines online.

Q: What’s the difference between a college and a university?

A: Colleges offer only undergraduate degrees while universities offer graduate degrees as well, but the terms are often used interchangeably.

Q: Are there age limitations to attend Pakistani universities? 

A: In general, you must have completed intermediate and you must be at least 17 years of age.

Q: What is the academic calendar for universities in Pakistan?

A: The academic year usually runs from September through June with breaks for holidays. Most universities use either the semester system (two terms) or Annual System.

Q: What is the difference between “Undergraduate” and “Graduate” degrees?

A: Undergraduate programs follow high school and lead to an associate (two-year) degree or a bachelor (four-year) degree. Graduate programs follow a bachelor’s degree and lead to a master’s or doctoral degree.

Q: What are the different types of undergraduate degrees?

A: Associate: a two-year program that either leads to a specific vocation or transitions to a bachelor program. Bachelor: a four or five-year program where students earn credits in a wide variety of courses.

Q: What are the different types of graduate degrees?

A: Masters: two-year degree providing additional specialization. Doctorate: three to five-year program certifying the student as a trained research scholar and/or professor.

Q: What is the length of study for MBA programs in Pakistan?

A: MBA programs typically last 1.5 year (after graduation) and 3.5 years (after undergraduate).

Q: What is the difference between online studies and distance studies?

A: Essentially there is no difference.

Q: What is distance education?

A: Distance education occurs when a student and an instructor are in different places. Learning occurs by mail, telephone, internet, or by other means.

Q: How can I find out if an institution is accredited?

A: Search the HEC website ( to see if an institution is accredited.

Q: How can I find out if a specialized program of study is accredited?

A: For specialized program accreditation, see “Accredited Institutions of Post Higher secondary Education,” available from Higher Education Commission of Pakistan.

Q: How can I find out which universities are rated best for a specific academic major?

A: Search the HEC website ( to find out which universities are rated best for a specific academic major.

Q: What are English language proficiency requirements?

A: Pakistani universities require an English language proficiency test before admission to ensure you can read, write, and speak fluently.

Q: What is the credit system in Pakistani universities?

A: A credit is a value assigned to each course which reflects the number of hours the class will meet with the professor each week.

Q: What is a GPA?

A: Grade Point Average (GPA) is a numeric indicator for a student’s academic performance, calculated on a scale of 4.0.

Q: What is the Pakistani grading system?

A: Letter grades indicate a student’s academic performance. Each letter grade has a numeric value which is used to calculate a GPA, on a scale of 4.0.

Q: How are grades determined in Pakistani universities?

A: Grades are typically determined by quizzes, midterms, final exams, papers, projects, class attendance, and class participation.

Q: Are there opportunities for university exchange programs?

A: Contact the office responsible for programs at University of Chitral to ask if it has exchange agreements with other universities.

Q: Is the University of Chitral a private or Government institution? 
A: University of Chitral is very much a Government University. It was established by the Government of Pakistan to provide extremely affordable world class education to aspiring students all over the country.

Q: Does the University have different standards for the various provinces? 
A: Absolutely not. The University of Chitral provides an identical education to all its students regardless of their geographical location. All University of Chitral students, regardless of whether they live in large cities or small towns or even remote areas are taught by the same professors, receive the same study materials. Even examinations are identical throughout the country.

Q: Is the UoCHdegree recognized? 
A: The University of Chitral has been established by the Government of Pakistan. As such, its degrees are recognized nationally as well as internationally. Please visit the HEC web-site (

Q: Are the courses offered by UoCH comparable to international standards? 
A: Yes. University of Chitral programs are based on curricula developed by the Higher Education Commission (HEC). The course outlines used in these curricula are based on international demands and standards.

Q: How can I get my admission form and where should I submit it? 
A: You can get the form and all necessary information from any of the University of Chitral. You have to apply online from the UoCH website (

Q: What documents are essentially required to be submitted while applying for admission?

A: While applying for admission, possession of Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC) / Form ‘B’ or NICOP is mandatory. Online registration system does not require attachment of documents / credentials. However, the same will be required for verification during selection and admission process for selected candidates.

Q: Does UoCH offer scholarship / financial assistance?

A:All those students who show good academic performance and maintain minimum GPA of 3.5 out of 4.0 in case of all UG programmes will get financial assistance, as per policy in each semester.