Department of Botany aspires to become a leading department, excelling in research and academic education. Established in 2017, the Department of Botany is one of the learning seats in this University. The department of Botany is offering degree programs leading to the BS (4-Year) Bachelor of Science and M.Sc (2-Year) Masters of Science. The Department is known by the research of its faculty members in the areas of Pharmacognosy, Taxonomy, Phycology, Mycology, Bryology, Physiology, Tissue Culture, Proteomics, and Ecology. The Department has two research laboratories with an elaborate research program involving national and international collaborations with academia, industry and government organizations. HEC Curricula have been adopted for smooth running of the programmes.
Currently, many research projects are being run by the faculty members.
The Department has a Library, Computer laboratory, a Common Room, Botanical Garden, Greenhouses, Herbarium, Arboretum, animal bio-park for research experiments.
To develop research based procedure and practices for quality education in Botany in its all-academic programs, organizational units, research and public service contributing to the recognition of the Department of Botany, University of Chitral at National and International level.
The mission of the Botany Department is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning, and research at the highest international levels of excellence. To develop into an indispensable and respected entity of the University recognized for its academic competence and support in the quality assurance arena by:
- Introducing internationally recognized criteria, sound policies, well-developed systems, transparent practices and procedures.
- Continuous monitoring and evaluation of all programs.
- Building and strengthening the capacity of labs on a continuing basis.
- Serving as the University's liaison with Higher Education Commission of Pakistan and other national and international experts/institutions on matters directly relevant to quality education in Botany.
- To ensure the implementation and compliance of the self-assessment system by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan.
- To establish a system of research and development to enhance the quality in all areas of Botany.
- To recognize and reward research excellence at the university.
- To emphasize the University’s commitment to create an environment conducive to high quality research at an internationally competitive level.
- To enhance the University’s performance in the delivery of its research agenda.
- To encourage the scholarly activities for positive results.
- To communicate and co-ordinate with various local and international bodies.
- Analyze, evaluate and ensure that the procedures and practices meet the requirement of international standards.
The Department's core values are as follows:
- Co-relation of plants and human being.
- Role of plants in human development.
- The encouragement of a questioning spirit.
- Quality and depth of provision across all subjects of Botany.
- The close inter-relationship between teaching, scholarship, and research.
- Strong support for individual researchers as well as research groups.
- Education which enhances the ability of students to learn throughout life.
The Department's relationship with society
- The widest possible student access to the department.
- The contribution which the department can make to society through the pursuit, dissemination, and application of knowledge.
- The place of the department within the broader academic and local community.
- Opportunities for innovative partnerships with business, charitable foundations, healthcare and pharmaceutical industries.
- Concern for sustainability and the relationship with the environment.
- The opportunities for broadening the experience of students and staff through participation in sport, seminars, and other cultural activities.
- The department of botany will be converted into ‘‘The Institute of Plant Sciences’’ offering programs leading to the BS (4-Year) Bachelor of Science, M.Phil (2-year) Masters of Philosophy and Ph.D (3-Year) Doctor of Philosophy degree in a variety of specialization areas including General Pharmacognosy, Applied Pharmacognosy, Plant Toxicology, Advanced Pharmacognosy, Phytochemistry, Aromatic Phytology, Plant Taxonomy, Plant Physiology, Phycology, Mycology and Plant Pathology, Plant Genetics, Plant Proteomics, Plant Ecology.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Medicinal Plants will be started Inshallah.
- Students will be allowed to take courses which provide a broad background in Botany as well as in the biological Science, in addition to the training in special areas.
- International standard laboratories will be established.
- Smart Rooms will be developed for International standard teaching and learning environment.